Monday, February 27, 2012

New classes, new videos and new resources.



I have scheduled a Next Steps class for anyone who has taken a beginner rigid heddle weaving and can direct warp their loom independently.  In Next Steps we will learn to create exciting patterns using a pick up stick and we will weave designs with 2 heddles.  Class will meet for 2 weeks, Saturday, March 24 and 31, Please contact me at weaveonstudio@me.com for further details and to register.  Class size is limited and first come, first served. 


A Warping Refresher class will be held on April 21st and 28th.  Don't remember how to warp?  Need a refresher?  I have scheduled this class for those who weave on either rigid heddle or floor looms.  We will focus exclusively on warping, that all important skill.  We will warp and weave samples for two  weeks on Saturday, April 21st and 28th.  All weaving classes are small with individualized instruction so sign up soon by contacting me at weaveonstudio@me.com

My current class just completed week two of three and we took some videos this week of techniques for tying your warp to the front beam.  Here is the method I teach and use most often.

Here is a picture of Jackie finishing tying her warp to the front apron rod on the Schacht Flip loom. 

Calculating a project for the first time can be daunting.  There are several tools available to perform the math for you but you must know some basics first.  Follow along with me as I calculate my next project on my Cricket rigid heddle loom.  I have chosen to weave a scarf with a huck weave pattern which I will create using pick up sticks.  The final scarf will measure 6"wide and 66" long.  I am planning on doing an 8" sample to see how the huck pattern works before I make an entire scarf with it.
The yarn I'm using is a light blue rayon/silk blend yarn that is 1000 yards/lb (that info is on the label) and the wraps per inch (wpi) equal 12.  I wrapped the yarn around a ruler to find all this information out:  Divide that in half to determine the epi or ends per inch which tells you what size heddle to use   In this case I have chosen a size 5 dents per inch heddle.  To determine the number of ends in the total project, you need to allow for draw-in and shrinkage which total about 15% of the width so I added 1". Multiply the epi times the total width of 7" and you need 35 ends.  I also add one extra end on each side for a total of 37 ends.
Now for the length.  I want my finished project to be 66" plus 4" at each end for fringe and 20% allowance for take-up and shrinkage.  That totals 87" to which I add 12" for my sample and 12" for loom waste.  Added together, my warp will be 111" or 3 yards.  
I wound my warp and threaded my loom yesterday.  I finished my sample a few minutes ago and it looks like this while still on the loom.
 This is what it looks like on the loom.  Huck weave changes drastically once it is wet finished.  I'll post another picture when it's done.
There are very long floats now and those will shrink up to create the huck weave structure I am planing for this scarf.  Weaving a sample and cutting it off the loom gives me the opportunity to check the design before I start the final project.  We'll have to see how it looks once it's wet finished.  Stay tuned.


No comments: