Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Knitting matters

I love to knit.  I was hoping to post my latest creation along with a FREE PATTERN.  It's almost done but not quite so I decided to post it anyway.  One more night of Olympics and I'll be finished but I was determined to post today.  So, without further ado,

Mint green shawl

It's a really easy pattern.  I used Shine by Knitting Fever (There are several yarns named shine and manufactured by different companies).  It's actually not being made so you may have trouble finding the 5-6 skeins required to complete the shawl.  I'll post the pattern at the end.

I also love to teach knitting and had a unique experience today.  A student I have been working with for several months is making a sample gansey from Beth Brown-Reinsel's book, Knitting Ganseys (on Amazon here) and we reached a critical point last week just as lesson time ended.  We both wanted to continue so we met online today.  It worked out really well.  She has now gotten past the critical shoulder join and is able to continue on her own until we meet again in person in 2 weeks.  Meanwhile, we now have a new tool in our knitting toolbox; video web conference or knitting online.  The picture was clear enough for me to see the stitch definition and the sound was also very good. 

Here's the shawl pattern:
Cast on 5 sts.
K one row.
Increase as follows:
Row 1:  k3, yo, knit to end.
Shawl fabric close-up
Row 2:  Sl, knit to end.
Repeat row 1 & 2 until you have 100 sts or are half the size you want for the shawl.
Shape center:
Row 1:  K3, yo, k2tog, knit to end
Row 2:  Sl 1, k to end.
Repeat these 2 rows 3 or 4 times.
Begin decrease:
Row 1:  K2, k2tog, yo, k2to, k to end.
Row 2:  Sl 1, k to end.
Repeat these 2 rows until you have 5 sts left.
Bind off.

Happy knitting!!

No comments: