Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Holiday confession

I grew up in a totally Jewish household. Christmas Day was for going to the movies and eating Chinese food. Then, ten years ago my life changed and I started spending my time with friends who celebrate the Jewish and Christian holidays. I was tentative at first. How could I, a Jewish woman, celebrate the birth of Christ. But Christmas here meant so much more. It was lights and decorations and gifts and tons of great food. It didn't take long for me to join in and enjoy. It's a time when we openly and easily demonstrate our love for each other. A time for laughter and a time for joy. Free of the shackles of an oppressive marriage, I have learned what true love is and cherish this time of year. A celebration of many things, different things for each of us. I celebrate the shear joy of being alive and being loved.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year!!

2 comments:

Peg in South Carolina said...

I loved your post (I'm Christian, by the way).

Susan said...

I just found your blog via Laura Fry's blog. Please keep on writing and sharing! I'd love to see your undulating twill.

All the best for your 2009.
Susan
On Vancouver Island, BC. Canada